31 March, European Parliament, Brussels: ‘Rural Development and Globalisation in Europe’
This seminar presented and discussed emerging findings, policy recommendations and good practice examples from the DERREG project. It was attended by over 50 participants, including representatives from the European Commission, rural development organizations, academic institutions and related research projects.
The seminar included the following presentations, which are available for download below:
1) Overview of globalization challenges and opportunities for rural Europe. Michael Woods, Aberystwyth University
2) Rural SMEs and Transnational Business Networks. Andrew Copus, Nordregio.
3) International migration to rural regions. Birte Nienaber and Wioletta Frys, Universität des Saarlandes
4) Rural sustainable development in international context. Joachim Burdack and Michael Kriszan, Leibniz-Institut für Länderkunde
5) Rural Learning Regions. Dirk Roep and Wiebke Wellbrock, Wageningen University.
6) CAP reform and rural development (insights from the project CAP-IRE). Davide Viaggi, University of Bologna
7) Policy integration for rural development (results from the RUFUS project). Sylvia Herrmann, University of Hannover
In addition, a European Policy Brief reporting on emerging findings and policy recommandations from the DERREG project was produced in advance of the seminar and is also available to download.